Recent updates to the guidance for employing a sportsperson

Sportspeople and other sports workers can enter the UK under a Skilled or Temporary worker route. There are two main routes through which you can bring sportspeople to the UK; under the T2 Sportsperson, for people who will base themselves in the UK, and the T5 (Temporary Worker) Creative or Sporting Worker route, for shorter stays. The Home Office has recently made changes to the guidance surrounding visas available to sportspeople. EEA and Swiss citizens who wish to enter the country through the T2 Sportsperson route after 1 January 2021 will now require permission to work under the new Points Based System, and all T2 and T5 sportspeople must now be endorsed by the appropriate sports governing body.

What is sportsperson visa?

The Sportsperson visa (T2) is available for established elite sportspeople and coaches who are recognised by their sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of their profession internationally. The sportsperson visa is a common route for professionals in sports such as football. This visa allows you to enter and live in the UK as a foreign national for a maximum of three years, provided you work within a role in which you will make an exceptional difference to your sport in the UK. Visa requirements under this route are points based, and applicants must score 70 points from the following (non-exhaustive) criteria:

  • An offer of a job with an approved sponsor (50 points)
  • English language skills at level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for language in speaking and listening (10 points)
  • They must show enough funds to support themselves or have certifying maintenance from their employer (10 points)

What is a creative and sporting visa?

Sportspeople can enter the UK under a temporary visa through the T5 (Temporary Worker) Creative or Sporting Visa route. This visa category enables highly skilled sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists to work or perform in the UK for a maximum period of 12 months, making this visa route especially suitable for short term sports and creative arts contracts. The T5 Creative and Sporting Visa does not have a language requirement and is not a points-based route, however applicants applying as a sportsperson or creative worker must show significant contribution to their fields and meet the sponsorship and financial requirements required for eligibility.

Does a sportsperson need a certificate of sponsorship?

Both the T2 S and T5 visa routes require the organisation employing the sportsperson to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship reference number. If you wish to sponsor a sports worker, you must hold a valid T2 Sportsperson or Creative or Sporting Worker (sporting sector) sponsor licence in order to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship. The Certificate of Sponsorship enables the sportsperson to apply for a visa and must be assigned to every foreign national that the organisation employs. Additionally, under the Sportsperson visa routes, the organisation must receive endorsement from their sport’s governing body to confirm that the player or coach is internationally established and makes a significant contribution to the development of their sport. The endorsement must also confirm that their position could not be filled by someone with settled status.

How our business immigration solicitors in London can assist with a sportsperson visa

We can assist with T2 (Sportsperson) and T5 (Temporary Worker) Creative or Sporting visa applications if you are an elite sportsperson or business requiring a sponsor licence. We can provide end to end assistance with the sponsorship and advise you on the endorsement and visa application processes for sportspersons under both visa routes. We can also assist with the ongoing management of your sponsor licence and report any changes to the migrant’s activity or employment. 

Using our Immigration Solicitors in London to submit a visa application as a sportsperson

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration and visa law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration matter. You can instruct one of our immigration and visa legal representatives to successfully assist you with a sportsperson visa application. Our solicitors and Barristers will help you comply with the Home Office’s requirements and meet the Immigration Rules.

Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications, which are improperly prepared, for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure your application succeeds, our solicitors and barristers will ensure all specified documents must be provided.

The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.

Successful sportsperson applications with our Immigration Solicitors in London

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your prospects of submitting a sportsperson visa application before your application even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation and submission of a sportsperson application and ensure that you meet all the requirements under the Immigration Rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients. LEXVISA is just minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice, and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to a successful sportsperson application. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02030110276 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close