The UK fiancé visa or UK marriage visa permits a person who has settled status in the UK to bring their prospective spouse to the UK with the intention of getting married. The visa is issued for six months, during which time the applicant will need to get married. After the marriage, the applicant can apply for a spouse visa before the expiry of their visa by making an application for further leave to remain from inside the UK, which grants the visa holder conditional permanent resident status and allows them to remain in the UK initially for two years.
Our immigration solicitors are regularly instructed to assist in the preparation of fiancé / marriage visa applications. Our team are ready to meet with you in person or via Skype to consider whether you meet the eligibility requirements and once instructed will liaise with you in preparing your visa application with the requisite supporting documentation.
The UK Immigration Rules set out strict criteria that must be met by those applying for a fiancé / fiancée/ marriage visa. The following are some of the requirements that must be met:
- You must be in a genuine and subsisting relationship with a British citizen or a person present and settled in the UK and intend to marry or enter into a civil partnership with them within 6 months;
- You must intend to reside with your fiancé /fiancée permanently after your marriage;
- You must have suitable accommodation for yourself and your partner up until you marry and after you marry;
- You must meet the financial requirements (i.e. have enough money to support yourself and your partner without recourse to public funds); and
- You must satisfy the English language requirements.
If you are granted a fiancé/fiancée visa, you will be given leave to enter the UK for 6 months after which you can apply for further leave to remain. Thereafter, our immigration team can assist you in applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and then for British citizenship.
Expert UK Immigration Solicitors
Our expert immigration team understand that many applications are refused due to applicants’ lack of understanding of the supporting documents required to satisfy the Home Office. The UK Immigration Rules coupled with the Home Office’s supplementary guidance are complex and failure to submit the correct documentation could lead to a visa refusal which can cause much emotional stress for applicants and their families.
Our expert immigration team are regularly instructed to assist in the preparation of fiancé / marriage visa applications. We can also assist in making an application for further leave to remain in the UK once the applicant is married. Our team offer some of the following services:
- Consultation with an experienced immigration solicitor who can advise on whether you meet the eligibility requirements;
- Tailored legal advice which will assist you in collating the documents required for an application; and
- Preparation of online application forms and legal representations.
If you wish to have your documents checked by an expert immigration solicitor, please contact us so we can explore your options.
We are a UK law firm based in Middle Temple, London and our solicitors are fully authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). Contact our professional personal immigration team today and we can offer you a consultation in person or via telephone or Skype so we can explore your options. You can leave us a message on our Contact Form or give us a call on 02071830570.