The Unmarried Partner visa (also known as a Defacto visa) allows unmarried partners to apply to join their unmarried partner in the UK or if they are in the UK on an existing visa, to apply for leave to remain on the basis of their relationship with a British citizen or someone who is present and settled in the UK.
Our immigration solicitors are regularly instructed to assist in the preparation and submission of an unmarried partner visa application, either in the UK or abroad. Our team are ready to meet with you in person or via Skype to consider whether you meet the eligibility requirements and once instructed will liaise with you in preparing your visa application with the requisite supporting documentation.
The UK Immigration Rules set out strict criteria that must be met by those applying for an unmarried partner visa. The following are some of the requirements that must be met:
- You must be in a genuine and subsisting relationship with a British citizen or a person present and settled in the UK and have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years or more;
- You must have suitable accommodation for yourself, your spouse and any dependants;
- You must meet the financial requirements (i.e. have enough money to support yourself, your spouse and any dependants without recourse to public funds); and
- You must satisfy the English language requirements.
Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)
The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) was introduced by the Home Office on 6 April 2015 and applies to temporary, non-EEA migrants who are coming to the UK for more than 6 months. Payment for IHS is collected by the Home Office and goes directly to the National Health Service (NHS).
If instructed, our team of expert lawyers can consider whether you will need to pay the IHS. If you wish to consider your options, please contact our team today and arrange a meeting with a qualified immigration solicitor who can advise you of your options.
Expert UK Immigration Lawyers
Our expert immigration team understand that many applications are refused due to applicants’ lack of understanding of the supporting documents required to satisfy the Home Office. The UK Immigration Rules coupled with the Home Office’s supplementary guidance are complex and failure to submit the correct documentation could lead to a visa refusal which can cause much emotional stress for the applicants and their families.
Our expert immigration team are regularly instructed to assist in the preparation of unmarried partner visa applications and in some cases are instructed to attend same day visa appointments at one of the Premium Centre’s in the UK. Our team offer some of the following services:
- Consultation with an experienced immigration solicitor who can advise on whether you meet the eligibility requirements;
- Tailored legal advice which will assist you in collating the documents required for an application; and
- Preparation of online/paper visa application forms and legal representations.
If you wish to have your documents checked by an expert immigration solicitor, please contact us so we can explore your options.
We are a UK law firm based in Middle Temple, London and our solicitors are fully authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). Contact our professional personal immigration team today and we can offer you a consultation in person or via telephone or Skype so we can explore your options. You can leave us a message on our Contact Form or give us a call on 02071830570.