Gurkhas (Settlement/ILR)

In May 2009, special arrangements were introduced for former Gurkhas who retired from service in the Brigade of Gurkhas before 1 July 1997. For the purposes of the Immigration Rules, a Gurkha is a citizen or national of Nepal who has served in the Brigade of Gurkhas of the British Army under Brigade of Gurkhas terms and conditions of service.

Our immigration team are proud to represent Gurkhas and recognise the significant contribution they have made to the UK. We are familiar with the Settlement/Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) process for Gurkhas and are happy to consult with you to consider whether you meet the eligibility requirements.


Generally, you may be eligible to settle or obtain ILR in any one of the following circumstances:

  • You have completed at least 4 years’ service as a Gurkha with the British Army;
  • You are the spouse of a former Gurkha who is applying for settlement;
  • You are a dependant (under 18 years old) of a former Gurkha who is applying for settlement or who is present and settled in the UK (both parents); or
  • You are the widow of a former Gurkha who was discharged before 1997 and can show that your late husband would have met the criteria to qualify for settlement.

Expert UK Immigration Solicitors

Our immigration solicitors can help you prepare your Settlement/ILR visa application; our expert team offer some of the following services:

  • Consultation in person or via Skype or telephone with an experienced immigration solicitor who can advise on whether you meet the eligibility requirements and the merits of your application;
  • Tailored legal advice which will assist you in collating the documents required for an application; and
  • Preparation of the relevant application forms and legal representations.

If you wish to have your documents checked by an expert immigration solicitor, please contact us so we can explore your options.

We are a UK law firm based in Middle Temple, London and our solicitors are fully authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). Contact our professional personal immigration team today and we can offer you a consultation in person or via telephone or Skype so we can explore your options. You can leave us a message on our Contact Form or give us a call on 02030110276.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close