Croatian Nationals


This route is now closed and Croatian nationals can consider an application under the EUSS. 

As of 1 July 2013, Croatia became a member of the European Union which means that Croatian nationals no longer need permission under the UK’s Immigration Rules to reside in the UK. Croatian nationals have a right of residence in the UK for the first 3 months on an unrestricted basis after which they may qualify for a blue, yellow or purple registration certificate.

Our expert immigration team regularly consult with EEA nationals (Croatian nationals) and have the relevant expertise to consider your options of applying for a suitable certificate so you can reside in the UK for more than 3 months. Through our extensive experience, we are familiar with the application process and the documents an applicant is required to produce to demonstrate that they meet the requirements for this visa.

Blue Registration Certificate for Highly Skilled Croatian Nationals

Blue Registration Certificate shows the right to work in the UK without restrictions. It will be issued to highly skilled Croatian nationals, who are exempt from the requirement to work authorisation. The Certificate will show that they can work freely and don’t need to show any other or additional documents to employers.

We assist Croatian nationals living in the UK in applying for the Blue Registration Certificate. Amongst other requirements you will need to meet, you will first need to show that you have one of the following from a UK educational institution:

  • a degree;
  • a teaching qualification; or
  • a Higher National Diploma.

You should also apply for a Blue Registration Certificate in you have a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent endorsement. We have recently written about the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent requirements here.

Yellow Registration Certificate for Students, Self-employed and Self-sufficient Croatian Nationals

You can apply for Yellow Registration Certificate if you want to work while you are a student in the UK. Students will be allowed to work up to 20 hours a week unless the work is part of a vocational course, which included work placement and is vital to the study.

You will need to:

  • have private comprehensive health insurance or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC);
  • have a letter from your UK college, university or other places of study with the name of your course and the start and end dates; and
  • have a proof that you’ve got enough money to support yourself.

Self-employed and self-sufficient people may wish to apply for a Yellow Registration Certificate to prove their right to be self-employed or self-sufficient.

Purple Registration Certificate for Croatian Nationals who are subject to work authorisation

Purple Registration Certificate can be issued to a Croatian national who wishes to work in the UK and is subject to work authorisation. These certificates are issued to workers and contain the name of the employer that the holder can work for and the category the can engage in. Your employer will need to be in the list of registered sponsors for this type of certificate.

In order to apply for Purple Registration Certificate, you will need to have a job offer and Certificate of Sponsorship number from your employer. Some jobs may also require a good level of English.

As mentioned above, Croatian nationals are required to obtain permission to work before they start the employment in the UK unless they are exempt from work authorisation. You would not have to apply if you:

  • were working legally in the UK without restrictions on 30 June 2013;
  • got a UK visa or work permit before 1 July 2013 which is still valid;
  • have been working in the UK for a continuous period of 12 months ending on or after 30 June 2013;
  • work for an EU company which doesn’t usually operate in the UK (you’re a ‘posted worker’);
  • are a permanent UK resident or you have dual nationality including another European Economic Area (EEA) country;
  • are the partner of a British citizen;
  • are the partner, child or dependent relative of an EEA citizen (other than a Croatian) or of a person settled in the UK;
  • are a member of a diplomatic mission in the UK; and
  • were granted a blue registration certificate that says you’re highly skilled, e.g. because you hold a degree.

Expert UK Immigration Solicitors

Our immigration solicitors can help you understand the difference between the Certificates and consider which one is suitable for you.  Please contact a member of our team and book a consultation in person or via Skype or telephone with an experienced immigration solicitor who can advise on whether you meet the eligibility requirements and the merits of your application.

If you wish to have your documents checked by an expert immigration solicitor, please contact us so we can explore your options.

We are an Immigration law firm based in Middle Temple, London and our solicitors are fully authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). Contact our specialist immigration team today and we can offer you a consultation in person or via telephone or Skype so we can explore your options. You can leave us a message on our Contact Form or give us a call on 02030110276.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close