Apply to the UK Home Office to extend your Leave to Remain as a Family Member of a Settled Person

Applicants already living in the UK as a family member of a settled person can apply to the UK Home Office to extend their existing stay in the UK (also known as leave to remain). Applications can be submitted before the expiry date of an existing visa by applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), who already are in the UK. 

Apply as a Family Member of a Settled Person with LEXVISA Solicitors.

UK Visa Applications for Family Members of a Settled Person

You need a ‘family of a settled person visa’ if you want to remain with your family and you are already in the UK. The application can be submitted by applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. You can either apply if you want to extend your existing visa or you wish to switch from a different category.  Your family member or partner can be a British citizen, person settled in the UK or your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK.

The  Home Office criteria are quite stringent and an extensive amount of documentary evidence has to be provided in order to support your application and prove that you meet all the requirements, e.g. the financial requirements set by the government.

New English Language Requirement for a Family Member of a Settled Person Visa

The new requirement for applicants applying to extend their stay in the UK after 2 years and half on a 5 year route settlement will have to meet the English Language requirement which has been raised to A2 level. Family members with leave to remain due to expire on or after 1 May 2017 will be affected by the changes and will need to take the A2 exam to show their English language skills meet the requirement.

In order to meet the A2 English Language Requirement applicants, who are not nationals of a majority English-speaking country or holders of a degree taught in English, will need to sit an exam in one of the approved test centres. We have already written about approved secure English language tests and test centres. The updated list of approved centres has been published by Home Office and candidates can chose the most convenient centre for them.

Your Rights on a Family Member of a Settled Person Visa

If you are successful with your application and your visa is granted, you will be able to extend your stay for 2 years and half and apply to settle permanently in the UK once you’re eligible.

You can use your Family of a Settled Person visa to work, study or bring some family members. You will not usually be able to get benefits or other public funds.

How to apply to extend existing Family Member of a Settled Person Visa

The process involves filling out the Home Office’s form and then preparing and submitting a bundle of supporting documents to the Home Office for consideration by a caseworker. You will need to provide evidence of your relationship and financial circumstances under the Appendix FM (Family Member) of the Immigration Rules.

The Home Office (UKVI) has set out specific documentary evidence you are required to provide with your application. It is important to ensure you have the correct documents in support of your application to avoid delays and ensure your application is successful.

Using Legal Representation to Apply for an extension of your Family Member of a Settled Person Visa

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct a legal representative to submit an application for extension of your Family of a Settled Person Visa.

Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications which are improperly prepared for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure your application succeeds, all necessary documents must be provided.

This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.

Successful Family Member of a Settled Person Applications

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your applications before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation of your immigration or visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.


Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close