UK Immigration Update: English Language Tests Change for Family of Settled Person Visa

The Home Office has recently published a Statement of Changes to the Immigration Rules. New English Language Requirement has been announced for the applicants applying under the ‘Family of Settled person’ route. The required level of English Language has been raised to A2. 

New English Language Requirement has been announced for Family Members of Settled Persons.

UK Visa Applications for Family Members of Settled Persons

You will be eligible to remain in the UK as the family member or partner of a British citizen, person settled in the UK or person who has refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK. You will also be able to add some of your family members – dependents to your application.

You need a ‘family of a settled person visa’ if you want to remain with your family and you are already in the UK. The application can be submitted by applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. You can either apply if you want to extend your existing visa or you wish to switch from a different category.  You will need to choose a route for your application and each of them will have different eligibility requirements. You will choose between 2-year , 5-year and a 10-year route.

The  Home Office criteria are quite stringent and an extensive amount of documentary evidence has to be provided in order to support your application and prove that you meet all the requirements, e.g. the financial requirements set by the government.

New English Language Requirement for ‘Families of a Settled Person’ Visa

The new requirement for applicants applying under the ‘family of settled person’ route has been raised to A2 level. The changes would affect applicants planning to extend their stay in the UK after 2 years and half on a 5 year route to settlement under Appendix HM (Family Member) of the Immigration Rules. Family members with leave to remain due to expire on or after 1 May 2017 will be affected by the changes and will need to take the A2 exam to show their English language skills meet the requirement.

In order to meet the A2 English Language Requirement applicants, who are not nationals of a majority English-speaking country or holders of a degree taught in English, will need to sit an exam in one of the approved test centres. We have already written about approved secure English language tests and test centres. The updated list of approved centres has been published by Home Office and candidates can chose the most convenient centre for them.

Meeting the Home Office’s English Language Requirement

If you are applying for a UK visa that requires you to prove your level of English, our expert Immigration Solicitors will be able to guide you. You can prove your knowledge of English by either:

  • Passing an approved English language test at the required level (varies depending on the visa) in reading, writing, speaking and listening; or
  • Having an academic qualification that has been taught in English and is recognised as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree.

Furthermore, you may be exempt or are able to show to meet the English language requirement in other ways. Find out more by booking a consultation with our Solicitors who are based in central London. A detailed consultation will ensure that you leave with a greater understanding of what is required of you to make a successful visa application.

Exemptions from A2 English Language Requirement

The changes will not affect all applicants. The exemptions from meeting the A2 English Language Requirement are:

  • applicants who are 65 or over at the date of application;
  • applicants with a disability preventing them from meeting the language requirement;
  • exceptional circumstances;

Immigration Advice for a ‘Family of a Settled Person’ Visa

Our expert Solicitors at LexLaw have a very high success rate in UK family based applications and treat each case individually, providing detailed assessments to our clients. Our detailed consultations are to ensure that you are eligible to make a ‘family of a settled person’ visa application. If you decide to instruct us we will provide you with a bespoke documents list tailored to your circumstances.

Our city of London solicitors will guide you through the financial, language and relationship requirements in accordance with the UK Immigration Rules. Making the process as easy as possible and working hard to get a successful result.

Our team of experienced and professionally qualified immigration solicitors and barristers will be able to go through the Home Office’s requirements with you. As well as, the process of making a visa application to the UK step by step and limit the possibility of failure by complying with the strict letter of law. Contact us so that we can review your case and provide you with an assessment.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close