The UK Visitor Visa is a short stay visa that allows the holder to stay in the UK for up to 6 months. The visa allows visitors to travel to the UK for purposes of tourism, visiting family members, receiving private medical treatment and business reasons.
How long can I stay on a Visit visa?
Ordinarily, the visa is available for a maximum of 6 months, and visitors must leave the UK on or before the visa expiry date. Certain types of visits can allow for a longer stay, for example for the purposes of private medical treatment, where the visa can allow for a stay of 11 months. Further, academics in the UK can apply for a visitor visa for a maximum of 12 months.
You can also apply for a long-term Visitor visa that lasts for 2, 5 or 10 years, provided that you are only in the UK for a maximum of 6 months at a time.
What documents do I need to provide for a Visitor visa?
You must be able to provide the following documents in order to apply for a Visit visa:
- Evidence of sufficient funds for visit, usually at least 6 months’ bank statements and or payslips. The person you are visiting may also need to provide proof of their finances and relationship to you.
- Evidence of suitable accommodation, for example your hotel booking or rental agreement.
- You may need to evidence your intention leave the UK at the end of your stay, such as providing evidence of your return flight ticket.
What can you do on a Visit Visa?
If you’re visiting the UK for tourism or leisure purposes, you are able to:
- Visit your friends and family
- Attend educational exchange programmes
- Attend recreation courses for a maximum of 30 days
- Volunteer with a registered charity for a maximum of 30 days
On the Visitor Visa, you cannot:
- Switch to a different visitor visa category in the UK
- Work or engage in business
- Gain access to medical treatment on the NHS
- Do a work placement or internship
- Get married or form a civil partnership
How much does a Visit Visa cost?
A standard UK Visitor visa costs £95. If you’re planning to stay for longer than 6 months and are applying for a long-term standard visa, the following costs are involved:
- 2 Year Visa – £361
- 5 Year Visa – £655
- 10 Year Visa – £822
Successful Visit Visa applications with our Immigration Solicitors in London
Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your prospects of submitting a visa application before your application even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation and submission of a visit visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements under the Immigration Rules.
Our offices are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients. We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.
Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation to discuss a visit visa application.
Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.