UK Immigration Report: Home Office Highlights Tier 2 Migrant’s Journey

Today, the Home Office published statistics highlighting the ‘Migrant Journey’ in the UK. The immigration report is based on UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) data for migrants granted UK visas in the main six entry clearance visa routes: family, skilled workers, temporary workers, students, visitors and dependents. The aim of the report is to understand the process that non-EU migrants go through, from their initial entry into the UK to switching to another visa or settling in the UK. Here we will focus on Tier 2 skilled migrant workers who entered the UK with the potential path to settlement. 

20% of Skilled Workers Granted Settlement in 2013

According to the report, 18,359 of Tier 2 work visas issued to migrants in 2008 led to them being granted settlement in the UK 5 years later. A further 6,912 still had valid leave to remain in the UK, this may be due to individuals extending their visa or switching to another visa category.

Indian nationals formed the largest group of skilled workers in the UK, totaling 39% of all Tier 2 work visas issued in 2008. The 4 other nationalities who entered the UK on a Tier 2 work visa in 2008 were American, Australian, South African and Chinese. Out of the 5 nationalities of migrants on Tier 2 visas, Chinese nationals were most likely to obtain settlement in the UK after 5 years, coming only second to American skilled workers. However, a lower number of Americans, along with Australians applied for and were granted settlement in the UK. Furthermore, 71% of Tier 2 visas granted in 2008 were for the main applicants and the remaining 29% were for their dependents.

Between 2004 and 2008 the amount of Tier 2 Skilled Migrants being granted settlement in the UK has decreased.

Skilled Workers Eligible for ILR

The Tier 2 (General) category of the Points Based System (PBS) is for non-European migrants who have been offered a highly skilled job  by a UK employer to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker. If you wish to apply for a Tier 2 General Visa we can help you with your application and queries. Our expert team of lawyers can assist you with the preparation of your visa application and assess your eligibility in accordance with the Home Office requirements. We will ensure that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence thereby leading to a successful application and avoiding unnecessary expense of re submitting your application to the Home Office.

If you have been in the UK on a Tier 2 General visa for a minimum of 5 years, our expert Immigration Solicitors can assist you in applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. Once you have obtained ILR our city of London Solicitors can help you, along with your dependents to apply for settlement in the UK.

Successful UK Tier 2 Visa Applications

Our team of experienced and professionally qualified immigration solicitors and barristers will be able to guide you through the process of making a Tier 2 General migrant visa application step by step and limit the possibility of failure by complying with the strict letter of law.

We also undertake a great deal of appeal work before the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal and have a successful track record of successful results for our clients. We have the experience and the knowledge required to take your case forward successfully. If you have had a Tier 2 General visa refused, contact us to discuss your case so that we can provide you with a case assessment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now ButtonCall Now search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close