A Tier 4 Student Visa allows international students aged 16 years and over to study in the UK at a fully licensed institution. The duration of the course and level of study already completed will determine the length of the Tier 4 Visa. However, it is also possible for a Tier 4 student to have the expiry date of their visa brought forward for a number of reasons. This is called Tier 4 Student Visa Curtailment. If you have been given a notice of curtailment, do not hesitate to contact our immigration team immediately in order to schedule a consultation and plan your next steps.
What is Tier 4 Student Visa Curtailment?
Tier 4 Student Visa Curtailment is when the Home Office brings forward the end-date of the Tier 4 Visa. There are a number of reasons why a Tier 4 student may have their leave curtailed, including some of the following reasons:
- Early completion of the course – If the Tier 4 student completes their 4 year course in 3 years for example, then the institution will need to notify the Home Office informing them of such. The curtailed visa date will have the same wrap-up period of leave after the new programme end date as was originally given for the original programme end date;
- Change of course if the new course duration is shorter – If the student changes their course and the duration of the new course is shorter, then their leave will be curtailed to reflect the new length of the course being studied;
- Withdrawal from the course of study – If the student withdraws from their course, the institution will inform the Home Office. If the student has plans to start or transfer to a new course, they must apply for a new visa from outside the UK;
- Failure to enroll on a course – If a Tier 4 visa has been granted from outside the UK, but the student fails to register on the programme by the latest start date, then the institution will have to inform the Home Office and the Tier 4 student visa will be curtailed;
- Failure to attend a course – If a Tier 4 student fails to attend their course, the institution will notify the Home Office. The visa will be curtailed and the Tier 4 student will need to make a fresh application.
The Home Office will usually notify the Tier 4 student by email if their visa has been curtailed, but they may also receive a letter by post. The Tier 4 student visa curtailment notice will tell the student the new expiry date of their Tier 4 Student Visa.
What do I do if my Tier 4 Student Visa has been curtailed?
If the student has failed to attend or enroll on a course, they will usually be given 60 days in order to apply for further leave to remain, or make plans to leave the UK before the new visa expiry date. The student may consider switching into a different visa category such as the Tier 2 work visa, or they could find a new institution willing to offer them a CAS and enroll at a different institution. Some may wish to leave the UK and then make an entry clearance application under the same or different route. No curtailment action will be taken if the Tier 4 visa is expiring in 60 days or less. Once the visa is curtailed, it will no longer be valid for the purposes of entering the UK. Therefore once the student has left the UK on their curtailed visa, they will then be unable to re-enter the UK until they have been granted another UK visa.
Using Legal Representation in the event of Tier 4 Student Visa Curtailment
Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration and visa law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct an immigration and visa legal representative when your Tier 4 Student Visa has been curtailed.
Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications which are improperly prepared, for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure your UK visa application succeeds, all necessary documents must be provided.
This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.
Successfully overturn Tier 4 Student Visa Curtailment
Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your UK visa application before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation and submission of your UK visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.
We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients. LEXVISA is just minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.
Preparation is the key to a successful application. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.
Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.