Recently The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), a UK Government Public Body reviewed the Tier 1 Entrepreneur route and proposed a more selective approach to improve the quality of incoming entrepreneurs to the UK under the points based immigration system. MAC has published their recommendations for reforming the Tier 1 entrepreneur’s route, which we summarise and analyse below.
UK Review Proposals for Tier 1 Entrepreneurs
The UK Government commissioned MAC to consider:
- Whether the criteria of having ‘access to funds’ is as significant a factor in demonstrating entrepreneurial ability in comparison to other criteria such as demonstrating experience of entrepreneurial activity and/or the viability of a business.
- the current immigration points based assessments carried out by the Home Office and considering whether expert investors and venture capitalists should play a role.
Recommendations for Tier 1 Entrepreneur route
Following their consideration of the Tier 1 Entrepreneur route MAC have made the following recommendations:
- The Home Office to work with Businesses to allow for third party endorsement in the selection process of Tier 1 Entrepreneur Applicants.
- The Government’s official immigration advisers to set up a system whereby the Home Office analyses a Tier 1 entrepreneur’s application by setting up a panel of business experts. The idea behind this is that there will be venture capitalists who can invest into applications under the Tier 1 route and aid Applicants to meet the points based immigration system.
- The entrepreneur visa routes should aim to attract entrepreneurs with innovative business proposals to aid spirit of the Tier 1 entrepreneur category which is to promote investment in the UK economy and to boost the UK economy.
- The UK Government to create a distinct visa route solely for talented Tier 1 entrepreneurs planning to invest in businesses in the UK.
What this means for Tier 1 Visa Applications
The proposals by MAC are encouraging and should be reviewed in line with the current positive impact of Tier 1 entrepreneur applications on the UK economy. The proposal to create a supportive panel of experts is in complete harmony to the spirit of the Tier 1 entrepreneur category which is to promote investment in the UK economy and to boost the UK economy. It creates a third party source for employers and employees alike and removes barriers for the many talented Tier 1 entrepreneurs and start-up businesses.
Successful UK Business Visa Applications
Our team of experienced and professionally qualified solicitors and barristers welcome the MAC recommendations and are pleased to the see direction and scope of MAC’s recommendations to the Home Office. It is particularly pleasing to see that the Home Office is considering the benefits of a third party investor as this will aid many start up businesses and entrepreneurs to grow in the UK. We are regularly instructed by Tier 1 entrepreneurs and undertake a detailed review for Applicants and will be able to guide you through the process of making a Tier 1 Entrepreneur or Tie 1 Investor visa application step by step and limit the possibility of failure by complying with the strict letter of the law.
We also undertake a great deal of appeal work before the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal and have a successful track record of successful results for our clients. We have the experience and the knowledge required to take your case forward successfully. If you have had a Tier 1 entrepreneur visa refused, contact us to discuss your case so that we can provide you with a case assessment.