Registration Certificate (Blue, Yellow and Purple) for Croatian Nationals living in the UK

Croatian nationals planning to work in the UK can apply for a Croatian National Registration Certificate confirming their rights in the UK. Applicants will have an option of choosing a Blue, Yellow and Purple Registration Certificate. Croatia has been a member of the European Union since July 2013, but certain restrictions still apply to the access to the UK market. 

Registration Certificate for Croatian Nationals living in the UK

Croatian nationals are able to move and live freely in any member state of the European Union. They do not need  permission to reside legally in the UK and they will have a right of residence in the UK for first three months. They will further be able to remain legally resident provided they will be exercising Treaty rights as:

  • a student;
  • a self-employed person; or
  • a self-sufficient person.

Croatian nationals will not have an automatic right to reside as a worker or a jobseeker in the UK and they will need to apply for a Croatian National Registration Certificate. There are three Croatian National Registration Certificate available for Croatian nationals: Blue, Yellow or Purple Registration Certificate.

Blue Registration Certificate for Highly Skilled Croatian Nationals

Blue Registration Certificate shows the right to work in the UK without restrictions. It will be issued to highly skilled Croatian nationals, who are exempt from the requirement to work authorisation. The Certificate will show that they can work freely and don’t need to show any other or additional documents to employers.

We assist Croatian nationals living in the UK in applying for Blue Registration Certificate. Amongst the requirements which you will need to meet, you will firstly need to show that you have one of the following from the UK educational institution:

  • a degree;
  • a teaching qualification; or
  • a Higher National Diploma.

You should also apply for a Blue Registration Certificate in you have a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent endorsement. We have recently written about the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent requirements here.

Yellow Registration Certificate for Students, Self-employed and Self-sufficient Croatian Nationals

You can apply for Yellow Registration Certificate if you want to work while you are a student in the UK. Students will be allowed to work up to 20 hours a week, unless the work is part of vocational course, which included work placement and is vital to the study.

You will need to:

  • have private comprehensive health insurance or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC);
  • have a letter from your UK college, university or other place of study with the name of your course and the start and end dates; and
  • have a proof that you’ve got enough money to support yourself.

Self-employed and self-sufficient people may wish to apply for a Yellow Registration Certificate to prove their right to be self-employed or self-sufficient.

Purple Registration Certificate for Croatian Nationals who are subject to work authorisation

Purple Registration Certificate can be issued to a Croatian national who wishes to work in the UK and is subject to work authorisation. These certificates are issued to workers and contain the name of the employer that the holder can work for and the category the can engage in. Your employer will need to be in the list of registered sponsors for this type of certificate.

In order to apply for Purple Registration Certificate you will need to have a job offer and certificate of sponsorship number from your employer. Some jobs would also require a good level of English.

Croatian nationals are required to obtain permission to work before they start the employment in the UK unless they are exempt from work authorisation. You would not have to apply if you:

  • were working legally in the UK without restrictions on 30 June 2013;
  • got a UK visa or work permit before 1 July 2013 which is still valid;
  • have been working in the UK for a continuous period of 12 months ending on or after 30 June 2013;
  • work for an EU company which doesn’t usually operate in the UK (you’re a ‘posted worker’);
  • are a permanent UK resident or you have dual nationality including another European Economic Area (EEA) country;
  • are the partner of a British citizen;
  • are the partner, child or dependent relative of an EEA citizen (other than a Croatian) or of a person settled in the UK;
  • are a member of a diplomatic mission in the UK; and
  • were granted a blue registration certificate that says you’re highly skilled, e.g. because you hold a degree.

Legal Advice from UK Immigration Solicitors for a Croatian National Registration Certificate

Our expert team of lawyers have extensive knowledge of making applications for Croatian nationals wishing to work in the UK. We can assist you with the preparation of your application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules. We will ensure that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence thereby leading to a successful application and avoiding the unnecessary expense of re-submitting your application to the Home Office.

If you wish to consider your options, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your matter and if necessary advise you of the next steps you should take in a consultation.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

If you need professional legal advice about applying for a Croatian National Registration Certificate, please contact us for a case assessment on 02071830570. You can also reach us via our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close