Success Story: Unmarried Partner extension granted

We recently received some pleasing news that our client’s (“the Applicant”) Unmarried Partner extension application was successful. We had initially assisted the Applicant switch from a Tier 4 Student visa to an Unmarried Partner visa. In our initial consultation with the Applicant, we asked for an update on their personal circumstances and advised the Applicant of the current legal requirements under Appendix FM and FM SE to the Immigration Rules. Our specialist immigration team prepared the entire application and were instrumental in obtaining a successful. Despite all Home Office processing times being delayed due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Applicant did not endure long delays as the Unmarried Partner extension application was well prepared and all mandatory documents were submitted in an acceptable format.

The case for an Unmarried Partner Extension

The Applicant was a Chinese national and had initially arrived in the UK on a Tier 4 Student visa. The Applicant met her Sponsor and formed a relationship akin to marriage and had switched to an Unmarried Partner visa. Our immigration team assisted the Applicant with the extension application and helped avoid unreasonable delays by preparing a well-prepared application in accordance with Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules. In particular, we prepared a bespoke documents list, conducted numerous document reviews, completed the online visa application form, and prepared persuasive legal representations in support of the application.  

What is an Unmarried Partner Extension?

An Unmarried Partner (also referred to as a Defacto visa) allows migrants to join or remain with their British or Settled partners in the United Kingdom for a period of 30 months. This route allows migrants to apply for indefinite leave to remain (settlement) after spending a continuous period of 5 years.

How to apply for an Unmarried Partner Extension?

An Unmarried Partner application is made in accordance with the Immigration Rules and the requirements under Appendix FM must be met. A failure to meet all the requirements will result in a refusal and a cumbersome appeal process. In order to submit a successful Unmarried Partner application the following requirements must be satisfied:

  • Applicants must hold a valid visa;
  • Applicants must be of good character and meet the suitability requirements;
  • Applicants must meet the relationship requirements (submit evidence of relationship akin to marriage);
  • Applicants must meet the financial requirement of £18,600 and submit the mandatory documents pursuant to Appendix FM SE; and
  • Applicants must meet the English language requirement.  

In order to find out more information on how you can meet the above requirements we recommend you contact our immigration team so we can provide you with a list of documents required (subject to formal instruction).

How much does it cost for an Unmarried Partner Extension?

The Home Office application fee for an Unmarried Partner extension application is £1052.20 (inclusive of cost for Biometrics). The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) cost is £1560 (£624 per year).  

Permitted activities on an Unmarried Partner visa?

Migrants with valid leave under the Unmarried Partner route are permitted to study or work without restrictions. Migrants will have no recourse to public funds but can access the NHS (subject to the correct IHS surcharge being paid).

How our immigration solicitors can help with an Unmarried Partner visa application

Our immigration solicitors in London specialise in Unmarried Partner extension applications and prepare applications to the highest standard. We have an impeccable track history of submitting successful Unmarried Partner extension applications for a range of different clients. The key to submitting successful applications is being aware of the relevant Immigration Rules. Our immigration solicitors in London guide Applicants through the requirements and prepare detailed legal submissions in support of the application. In addition to the legal representations, our team of solicitors also provides multiple substantial reviews of the application bundle to ensure that the correct documentary evidence is submitted. We also prepare and assist with the submission of the application.

Using our immigration solicitors to submit Unmarried Partner extension applications

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration and visa law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct an immigration and visa legal representative to submit an Unmarried Partner extension application.

Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications, which are improperly prepared, for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure your Unmarried Partner extension application succeeds, all necessary documents must be provided.

This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your Unmarried Partner application meets the Immigration Rules.

Successful Unmarried Partner extension applications with our immigration solicitors

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your Unmarried Partner extension application before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation and submission of your application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients. LEXVISA is just minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice, and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to a successful Unmarried Partner extension application. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02030110276 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close