Applying for the Unmarried Partner Visa UK under Appendix FM

Partners of British citizens or those who are settled in the UK (with Indefinite Leave to Remain) can come to, join or remain with their partner in the UK in order for their relationship to continue. Unmarried Partner Visa UK Applicants must demonstrate that they intend to make the UK their home with their partner, and meet all of the mandatory requirements under the relevant Immigration Rules for Family Members. Our Immigration Solicitors in London specialise in family-based visa applications and have a high success rate with these types of applications; specifically, where there are complexities and we are happy to arrange a consultation to discuss your matter in more detail.

What is Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

An Unmarried Partner Visa allows the non-EEA national partners of British citizens or those who are settled in the UK to live together in the UK. The Unmarried Partner Visa is made in accordance with Appendix FM and Appendix FM-SE to the Immigration Rules and successful Applicants will be granted a visa initially valid for 30 months. If they wish to continue living in the UK after that 30 month period then they will have to apply for an extension for a further 30 months within 28 days of the expiry of the initial unmarried partner visa.

What are the requirements for Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

The main requirements for an Unmarried Partner Visa UK are the same as other family based UK visa applications in terms of the following requirements:

  • Relationship requirement – Applicants must demonstrate a genuine and subsisting relationship with the sponsor;
  • Financial requirement – Applicants must demonstrate they can meet the minimum income requirement;
  • Maintenance requirement – Applicants must be accommodated in the UK without recourse to public funds and in accordance with the Housing Act 1988 in respect to overcrowding;
  • English language requirement – Applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient knowledge of the English language either by completing a degree taught in English, pass an English language test at the approved level or be a national from a majority English speaking country.

In addition to the above, unmarried partners must meet the additional cohabitation requirement. Applicants must have lived with their sponsor for at least 2 years “in a relationship akin to marriage”. This can be in the UK, outside the UK or a mixture of both. Failure to adequately demonstrate 2 years cohabitation will result in the application being refused.

Can I switch to an Unmarried Partner Visa in the UK?

The Unmarried Partner Visa can be made from both outside the UK (entry clearance) or from within the UK by switching from another visa category. The most popular visa categories which allowing switching to the Unmarried Partner Visa are:

Applicants cannot switch from a standard visitor visa as switching requires individuals to have valid leave in the UK for a period of more than 6 months.

Can you work on an Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

Yes. Successful Applicants can work and study in the UK on the Unmarried Partner Visa without any restrictions. However, Unmarried Partner Visa UK holders cannot claim benefits or public funds whilst on the visa.

How long does it take to get an Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

According to up to date Home Office guidance (at the time of writing), Unmarried Partner Visa UK applications made from outside the UK will be decided within 12 weeks of the Applicant providing their biometrics. For applications made from within the UK the standard processing time is 8 weeks from providing their biometrics.

There is also a super priority visa service available at additional costs which will place an Applicants application ahead of the queue and get a quicker decision. Super priority service applications are usually considered within 24 hours (or the next working day) from when the Applicant has provided their biometrics.

Applications will take longer to be considered if there are complexities to the case or if not all of the requirements can me met. It is therefore important that all applications for an Unmarried Partner Visa are prepared to the highest standard and our family visa immigration team are happy to assist with the preparation of successful applications.

Can I apply for a British passport if my partner is British?

A successful Unmarried Partner Visa application does not mean Applicants will be automatically issued with a British passport. However, the Unmarried Partner Visa does have settlement routes (5 years or 10 years depending on circumstances), after which can lead to naturalisation as a British citizen. Therefore, the quickest that an unmarried partner can apply for a British passport is 6 years (i.e. two 30 month visas, settlement (aka Indefinite Leave to Remain) for 12 months then citizenship). This is dependent on all of the relevant requirements being met.

Using our Immigration Solicitors in London to apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa UK

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration and visa law firm, are qualified to advise you on the law and your immigration matter. You can instruct one of our immigration and visa legal representatives to successfully assist you with an Unmarried Partner Visa UK application. Our solicitors and Barristers will help you comply with the Home Office’s requirements and meet the Immigration Rules under Appendix FM and FM-SE.

Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject under-prepared Unmarried Partner Visa applications, for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure your Immigration & Visa application succeeds, our solicitors and barristers will ensure all specified documents must be provided.

The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.

Applying for the Unmarried Partner Visa UK under Appendix FM

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your prospects of submitting an Unmarried Partner Visa application before your application even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation and submission of an Unmarried Partner Visa application and are able to advise you in respect of your prospects and to ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

Our offices are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation to discuss an Unmarried Partner Visa application.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close