UKBA Update: UK Visa Application Forms & English Language Tests

On 18 October 2013, the UK Border Agency (UKBA) announced that they had made some important amendments to the list of approved English Language tests for applications made under Tiers  1, 2 and 4 of the Points-Based System (PBS) and for spouse/partner visa applications. In addition to this, changes have been made to application forms used by applicants who are already in the UK. It is vital that those affected by these changes consult immigration lawyers for legal advice on how these changes affect them.

English Language Tests Affecting Points Based Applications

The new list of approved English Language tests for applications being made under Tier 1,2 and 4 of the point-based system and for partner or spouse applications, comprehends changes made to Appendix O of the Immigration Rules back in July 2013, clearly stating the documents that can be used as evidence.

UKBA’s Changes to UK Visa Application Forms

The UKBA has published new versions of the following application forms:

  • SET(BUS) – settlement (overseas business representative or retired person of independent means);
  • SET(DV) – settlement (victims of domestic violence);
  • SET(F) – settlement (children of British citizens or people settled in the UK);
  • SET(LR) – settlement (marriage); and
  • SET(O) – settlement (other).

These forms are intended for applicants who are already in the UK and should be used if you apply on or after 28 October 2013. However, previous versions of these applications will continue to be accepted up to and on 18 November 2013.

October 2013: New UK English Language Requirement Rules

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the Knowledge of Language and Life (KoLL) requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless an exemption applies. Applicants will be required to:

  • Pass the Life in the UK test; and
  • Have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher or an equivalent level qualification.

Are you affected by the UKBA ‘English Language Requirement’?

If you would like to discuss how the English language requirement may affect you, call one of our immigration solicitors in London who will be able to assist you by meeting with you and reviewing your case.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close