UK Immigration Overview for Long-term Work Visas in the UK- Part 1 of 2

There are various routes available for non-EEA migrant workers who wish to enter the UK to work. The most sought work related visas are under the Points Based System (PBS), in particular, the Tier 2 and Tier 5 categories. However, there are alternative work visas available for non-EEA national migrant workers such as the Sole Representative visa and Permitted Paid Engagement Visa (PPE).  

uk-Work-visa-Sponsor-Licence-Tier-2-Home Office
UK Work visa applications can be made by LEXVISA Solicitors and Barristers

Work visas under the Points Based System: Tier 2 work visas

Since the introduction of the Point Based System, the former Work Permit visas have been replaced with the Tier 2 and Tier 5 visa categories.

The Tier 2 Visa Category is for migrant workers who have been offered a skilled job in the UK. The important component of this visa is that the UK employer must be able to demonstrate that they attempted to fill the vacant position with settled workers in the UK but were unable to do so.   This particular category has been further divided into 4 sub-categories:

  • Tier 2 General: This is the most popular route for overseas workers in the UK. This route is for highly skilled workers who have been offered a job which is ranked higher ranked at a minimum NVQ level 6.
  • Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer (ICT): This route is for migrant workers who are offered a role in the UK branch of the organisation. This category is unique as it is divided into a further 4 categories; Short term staff, Long term staff, graduate trainee and Skills transfer.
  • Tier 2 (Sportspersons): This route is for elite sportspeople and coaches you are internationally established and have made significant contribution to their particular sport.
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion): This route is for migrant workers who are offered a job within a particular faith or religious organisation i.e. Imams, priests amongst others.

To apply for any of the abovementioned Tier 2 Visas you must have a job offer from a UK employer who holds a valid Sponsor License and they must assign you a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) assigned to you. In addition to this, you must also meet the maintenance and English language requirement.

Work visas under the Points Based System: Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

This particular route is for young migrant workers (aged 18 to 30) who wish to work and travel in the United Kingdom. The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme is open to nationals of a specific category of countries as well if you are a British overseas citizen, British overseas territories citizen or if you are a British national (overseas).  To apply for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa you must obtain 50 points under the PBS. You will be awarded 30 points for nationality, 10 points for age and 10 points for maintenance.  This route is also available for citizens of Hong Kong and the Republic of Korea.

Working in the UK under the Sole Representative of Overseas Business Visa

A Sole Representative Visa allows overseas businesses to set up a part of their business in the UK and to send workers to the UK on behalf of the overseas business.  To apply for a Sole Representative visa you must apply from outside the EEA and be able to demonstrate you meet the requirements. The important point to consider is that you will only be granted a Sole Representative if you can demonstrate that you have been recruited and employed outside the UK by a business who has registered that their principal place of business is outside the UK.

Work Visas for Turkish Workers and Croatian Nationals

Turkish nationals can apply for a Turkish Worker visa if they can demonstrate that they have legally worked in the UK for at least 1 year as; a spouse of a British National or settled person or they currently hold a valid work permit or if they have worked as a student.

Croatia joined the European Union on 1 July 2013 and since then Croatian nationals can enter the UK for up to 3 months without any restrictions. Following the first 3 months, they may be eligible for yellow, purple or blue registration certificate which will give them immigration status as worker, self-employed or self-sufficient.

Using Legal Representation to apply for a UK Long-term Work Visa

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct a legal representative to submit a UK worker Visa application or an application for Leave to Remain as a UK Worker. Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications which are improperly prepared for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence.

In order to ensure your application succeeds, all necessary documents must be provided. This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.

Successful UK Long-term Work Visa Applications

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your applications before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation of your immigration or visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close