UK Immigration Overview for Short-term Work & Business Visas in the UK- Part 2 of 2

Continuing from our UK immigration overview for long-term visas, we now move on to part 2 of 2 in which we outline various different short term work and business visas available. The short-term work and business visa best suited for you would essentially depend on the type of work or business you will plan on participating in. The two main type of short-term work and business visas are the Standard Visitor visa, and the  Permitted Paid Engagement visa (PPE). However, there is another type of short-term work visa available, known as the Domestic Worker visa. Applications for short-term work visas can often be lengthy and complex, our team will be able to assist and guide you through your application to ensure that your application has the highest possibility to succeed.

Short-term work-visa-standard-visitor-visa
Apply for short-term work visa using LEXVISA Solicitors

Enter the UK as an expert in your profession under the Permitted Paid Engagement Visa (PPE)

The Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE) visa is best suited for working professionals who are considered experts in their field. This route is often used by academics who are invited to the UK to take part in paid work but do not wish to apply for a work visa under the Point Based System. This short-term work visa is only valid for a maximum of 30 days and you can only submit an application if you are from a country outside the EEA and have been invited by a UK based organisation or client.  If you are granted a PPE visa you can participate in the following permitted paid engagements:

  1. As an academic you may give lectures or examine students; or
  2. As an overseas designated pilot examiner you may come to the UK to assess UK based pilots as long as you are invited by an approved training organisation who is regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority; or
  3. As a qualified lawyer you may come to the UK to provide advocacy for a court or tribunal hearing if you have been invited by a client; or
  4. As a professional artist, entertainer or musician or sports person may come to the UK to carry out activities related to their profession.

However, if you wish to enter the UK for a period longer than 30 days, you may way wish to consider using the Standard Visitor visa, on which you can enter the UK for a period of upto 6 months.

Standard Visitor Visa- Participate in business activities

The Standard Visitor visa has replaced all the former categories of Visit visas.  You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you wish to take part in a particualr business-related activities. If you enter the UK on Standard Visitor visa for business related activities you can attend conferences, meetings or training seminars. However the Standard Visitor visa is not limited to these activities, you may engage in the following actives;

  1. You may take part in specific sport related events; or
  2. You may perform if you are an artist or musician; or
  3. You may participate in academic research.

However, you cannot participate in paid or unpaid work which is outside of the scope of your visa. Applicants will have no access to public funds.

You can also use this short-term business visa route if you would like to enter the UK for up to 6 months for a holiday or leisure purposes. This route may also be available for Applicants who wish to undergo private medical care.

To meet the requirements of Standard Visitor Visa:

  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • You must plan to visit the UK for a maximum of 6 months and leave at the end of that period.
  • You must be able to show that you have enough money to support your stay in the UK and be able to accommodate yourself.

It is essential that you submit adequate evidence demonstrating that you will leave the UK at the end of your visit and you intend on returning to your home country.

Domestic Worker Visa in a Private Household

Domestic workers can enter the UK with their employer on Domestic Worker visa. This particular short-term work visa allows domestic workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to join their employers in the UK. The essential requirement for this short-term work visa is that you will need to demonstrate that you are a domestic worker and have worked for your employer in a private household for a minimum period of one year. To apply for a Domestic Worker visa you must plan to travel with your employer and also be able to show that you can show you are able to support yourself in the UK without access to public funds.

Using Legal Representation to apply for a UK Short-term Work  and Business Visa

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct a legal representative to submit a UK worker Visa application or an application for Leave to Remain as a UK Worker. Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications which are improperly prepared for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence.

In order to ensure your application succeeds, all necessary documents must be provided. This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.

Successful UK Short-term Work and Business Visa Applications

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your applications before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation of your immigration or visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close