Apply to the UK Home Office for a Tier 4 Student Visa

The UK government has been working hard and updating their immigration policies to crackdown net migration figures. There are reports recently suggesting that some of Britain’s world-renowned universities maybe losing out on being able to admit international students, as foreign students are deterred from making a student visa application, due to the complex Immigration Rules. However, if you seek legal advice and obtain the assistance you need from LEXVISA on the outset, the immigration application process for a Tier 4 Student visa do not have to be daunting at all.

Legal Advice on Tier 4 Student Visa Applications from LEXVISA London Immigration Solicitors

UK Tier 4 Students: What are the Requirements?

If you are over 16 years old, from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), and had been offered a place to study on a course, you may be eligible to apply for a Tier 4 (Student) visa. You will have to satisfy the following requirements as well:

  • You must be able to speak, read, write an understand English to a certain level;
  • You must have been offered a place to study at an institution that holds a valid Tier 4 Sponsor Licence;
  • You must have an unconditional offer from that institute;
  • You must have been issued a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS);
  • You must have enough money to support yourself whilst you are living in the UK and to pay for the course.

There are further requirements in relation to your course and in relation to maintenance.

UK Tier 4 Students: Requirements about Your Course

Being offered a place on one of the following courses would mean that you may be eligible for a Tier 4 Student visa:

  • Full-time course leading to a qualification that is at least level 6 on the Ofqual register; or
  • An oversea course of degree level study that is equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution; or
  • Full-time course with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study  leading to a qualification which is at least level 3 on the Ofqual register; or
  • A recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist.

If you wish to study a course which does not exceed 11 months, you may be eligible to apply for a Short-Term Study visa instead.

If you are unsure whether your course satisfies one of the above, you can always contact us for an assessment. Following that, we will also be able to assist you in your immigration application.

UK Tier 4 Students: Requirements about Your Maintenance

Firstly, you must demonstrate that you will be able to pay for your course. If you are starting a new course, you must show that you have sufficient funds to pay for either the first year of your course or for the entire course if the course is less than a year long.

Secondly, you must be able to demonstrate that you have additional funds to support your daily living whilst you are in the UK. There are slightly different requirements to satisfy depending on whether you will be studying in London or outside of London.

If you are studying in London, you must provide evidence to show that you are have at least £1,265 per month. If you are studying outside of London, you must show that you have at least £1,015 per month to support yourself. You will need to show that you have sufficient funds to maintain your living costs for at least 9 months. For example, if you are studying in London, you will need to show that you have at least £1,265 x 9 = £11,385 for a consecutive of 90-day period prior to the date of application.

You maybe able to rely on funds provided by a third party, for example, your parents. However, you will have to provide further evidence to show that they have consented to providing you with financial support whilst you are studying in the UK.

The UK Home Office imposes strict rules on specified evidence and you must ensure that the documents you submit are adequate, in the right format, and be able to demonstrate that you satisfy the necessary requirements. If you are ensure as to which requirements are applicable to you, you should always contact us for legal advice to avoid unnecessary delays in preparing your application.

UK Tier 4 Students: What you can and cannot do

Normally, you will not be allowed to work when you are in the UK as a student doing full-time studying. However, in certain cases, you may be allowed to work part-time for 20 hours per week during term time so long that it does not affect your studies. These conditions and restrictions will be clearly stated on the visa that you have been granted.

You should also be aware that most Tier 4 Students will require to register with the police shortly after the arrive in the UK. If this is not complied with, you may be in breach of the Immigration Rules.

Furthermore, if you have been in the UK before as a Tier 4 student, you may be subject to “Academic Progression” rules and “Total Time Limit” rules. Please always ensure that you understand and comply with all applicable rules before you proceed with making an application.

If you have any doubts about your visa conditions and restrictions, you should always seek legal advice for clarification.

Successful UK Tier 4 Visa Remain Applications

Our team of experienced and professionally qualified solicitors and barristers will be able to guide you through the process step by step and limit the possibility of failure by complying with the strict letter of the law. Please always call us for a telephone case assessment even if you wish to consider other advisers. If you wish to consider your options, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your matter and if necessary advise you of the next steps you should take in a consultation.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

We can ensure that you remain compliant with your visa conditions and will be able to demonstrate your eligibility for an extension visa or possibly indefinite leave to remain. Get in touch with our business immigration lawyers now on 02030110276.   You can also reach us via our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close