EEA & Swiss Nationals: Application for Permanent Residence

The Home Office have launched a new online Permanent Residence Application service for EEA and Swiss Nationals which can be used by those worried about BREXIT. The service can be used by most EEA and Swiss nationals who have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years as a ‘qualified person’. However it cannot be used by students or self-sufficient persons who are either (a) reliant on a family member for income or are (b) financially responsible for any other family members. 

Applying for Permanent Residency in the UK

How to apply for a permanent residence card as an EEA or Swiss national

The process involves filling out the Home Office’s online form and then preparing and submitting a bundle of supporting documents to the Home Office for consideration by a caseworker.

To ensure your application is processed without delay, you should ensure you provide all of the necessary documents which show how you have been exercising your free movement rights over a 5-year period.

Not submitting important documents or failing to highlight them can result in an application being rejected and having to start again and pay further Home Office fees. It is often better to instruct immigration lawyers to assist your EEA family and permanent residence application.

Using Legal Representation to Apply for Permanent Residence

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct a legal representative to submit a Permanent Residence application.

Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications which do not stack up for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure application success, all necessary documents which show how you have been exercising your free movement rights over a 5-year period.

This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the rules.

Applying for nationality after obtaining Permanent Residence

Once your permanent residence document has been obtained, and you have lived in the UK for 6 years, you can apply for nationality. If you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years when you get the document you will have to wait until you have lived here for 6 years. Those who have already lived in the UK for 6 years can apply immediately upon receipt of the permanent residence document or if your spouse or civil partner is a British national.

Successful EEA Permanent Residence Applications

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your applications before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation of your immigration or visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02030110276 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close