UK Registration Certificate for EEA and Swiss Nationals

EEA Nationals who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years and are worried about BREXIT might consider applying for an EEA Registration Certificate. The Home Office have launched an online Registration Certificate Application service for EEA and Swiss Nationals, who have not lived in the UK for 5 years and are not eligible to apply for Permanent Residence card but wish to regularize their status in the UK. EEA nationals can also use a paper application form.

EEA and Swiss nationals can apply for UK Registration Certificate.

How to apply for an EEA Registration Certificate as an EEA and Swiss national

The process involves filling out the Home Office’s online form or completing the paper form and then preparing and submitting a bundle of supporting documents to the Home Office for consideration by a caseworker.

The online form can’t be used by applicants who are students or self-sufficient and are:

  • reliant on a family member to provide your income, or
  • are financially responsible for other family members

Requirements for an EEA Registration Certificate

In order to qualify for a Registration Certificate you will need to be a citizen of European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland and you will need to be a qualified person. A qualified person is someone who is:

  • working
  • studying
  • self-employed
  • self-sufficient
  • looking for work

To ensure your application is processed without delay, you should ensure you provide all of the necessary documents which show how you have been exercising your Treaty rights.

Not submitting important documents or failing to highlight them can result in the application being rejected and having to start again and pay further Home Office fees. It is often better to instruct immigration lawyers to assist you with your Registration Certificate application.

Supporting documents for an EEA Registration Certificate application

You will need to provide evidence that you’re a qualified person. If you are working in the UK, you will need to ask your employer to complete the declaration in section 3B of the application form and enclose a letter confirming the details of your employment. You will need to make sure that all the documents are in correct format. The Home Office (UKVI) has set out specific documentary evidence you are required to provide for each of the above categories. It is important to ensure you have the correct documents in support of your application to avoid delays and ensure your application is successful.

Using Legal Representation to Apply for an EEA Registration Certificate

Legal representatives, such as our specialist immigration law firm, are qualified to advise you on immigration law and your immigration status. It is possible to instruct a legal representative to submit a Registration Certificate application.

Caseworkers at the Home Office are trained to reject applications which do not stack up for example by failing to provide the correct supporting evidence. In order to ensure your application succeeds, all necessary documents must be provided.

This can be a significant administrative task and you will need to submit the correct documentary evidence. The UK Immigration Rules are complex and a legal representative can help ensure that your application meets the Immigration Rules.

Brexit Impact on EEA nationals who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years

The UK will continue to be a party to the European Union until the Prime Minister Theresa May officially initiates separation proceedings by summoning Article 50. Following the aftermath of Brexit, it is clear there are considerable concerns for EEA nationals who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, in relation to their future in the UK.

However, it is important to note that there have been no immediate changes to the current UK immigration laws but as a direct consequence of the referendum, there has been an unprecedented increase of Residence Card and Registration Certificates applications causing excessive delays in the processing times. Whilst there are no immediate changes it is evident that there will be some changes to the current UK Immigration Rules.

Successful EEA Registration Certificate Applications

Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest. We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of your immigration status and the merit of your applications before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you with the preparation of your immigration or visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is the key to successful immigration applications. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and arrange your legal consultation.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close