Babies Born in the UK to Student Visa Holders with Limited Leave to Remain

The student visa, which has recently replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa, can, in some circumstances, allow students to bring their dependents with them. Our Immigration Team has frequently been consulted by clients holding student visas, who face confusion on the status of any children born during their limited leave to remain in the UK. This article addresses common concerns and provides answers. We work closely with clients so that they are able to act in the best interests of their children and their family in accordance with Home Office rules and regulations.

Are my British-born children entitled to UK citizenship?

Being born in the UK does not necessarily grant your child British citizenship. This will only be the case if one of the parents is a British citizen or if you are validly settled in the UK. As the holder of a student-visa with limited leave to remain, different rules apply. As someone with limited leave to remain, your child will be granted the same limited leave to remain as you.  Our team of immigration barristers and solicitors have considerable experience working with rules set by the Home Office and assist you from the start to finish to explore different options available to you and your family.

Do I have to apply for a visa for my children born in the UK?

A baby born in the UK to student visa-holders does not need to apply for a visa to remain in the UK. While this is true, many of our clients are not fully aware of what this means for your family. 

It is of the utmost importance to note that your baby will not have free healthcare after three months of their birth. Furthermore, if you intend to travel abroad, your child will need travel documents, such as a passport, alongside a valid visa to re-enter the UK. Our Immigration Team offers bespoke legal services to clients, ensuring that they can exercise the right to move freely in accordance with complex immigration rules and regulations.

How do I apply for my child’s visa?

If you have decided to apply for your child’s visa, they can apply online either separately or alongside you when you apply for an extension in your visa. You will need to provide various documents such as a full UK birth certificate of your child as well as biometrics. You will have to pay fees, which vary, including a health surcharge fee and the application fee. 

Our Immigration Team has considerable experience in assisting student visa-holders successfully apply for a dependent visa for their children born in the UK. We streamline the process and let you know everything you will need from the very start so that you and your family take the best course of action to secure your futures. 

Successful Student Visa Applications 

The key ingredient to success is having the right support. Our team of solicitors and barristers are specialist immigration lawyers who act in your best interest.

We offer a client-tailored approach from the outset. From the very first meeting, we will be able to advise you in respect of the merit of your case before your matter even reaches the Home Office UK Visa & Immigration department. We can assist you in successfully applying for a student visa and can aid you in proceeding with any appeals and ensure that your case is watertight. 

is in line with the latest precedent so as to protect your human rights and leave to remain in the UK.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients. LEXVISA and LEXLAW are just minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

Preparation is integral to success. Our UK immigration and visa solicitors are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements. If you wish to meet one of our lawyers, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your case and develop a timely strategy for your successful application.

Contact our London immigration solicitors on 02071830570 or complete our contact form.

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close