Adult Dependent Relative Visa – join family living in the UK

Adult dependent relatives can apply for UK Adult Dependent Relative Visa to join their families living in the UK. In order to apply for Adult Dependent Relative Visa you would need to be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK. In addition to this you will need to meet the strict criteria set by the government.

Adult dependent relatives can apply to join their families in the UK. 

Requirements for Adult Dependent Relative Visa

You will need to meet strict requirements in order to make a successful visa application. Amongst the criteria, you would need to meet:

  • You must prove that you need long-term care on daily basis to do personal and household tasks
  • You must show that the reason for your need of help is a result of your illness, disability or age
  • You will need to prove that you are not able to receive necessary help in your country, as it is not available or you can’t afford it
  • You will also need to show that your family member in the UK will be able to support you, provide you with accommodation and financial help without recourse to the public finds for at least 5 years
  • You must be 18 or over

Evidence for Adult Dependent Relative Visa Application

You will need to provide an extensive amount of evidence to support your application. There is a significant amount of applications being refused on the grounds of not providing sufficient documents to evidence the applicants’ dependency on their family members. This can be addressed by following the guidance set out below:

  • You will need to provide evidence of the relationship between the applicant and the sponsor (e.g. birth or adoption certificates)
  • You must show that the applicant requires everyday, long-term personal care as a result of their age, illness or disability (medical evidence from a doctor or health professional that the applicant’s physical or mental condition makes them unable to perform everyday tasks)
  • You will need to provide evidence that the applicant is unable, even with the financial and practical help of the sponsor, to obtain required level of care in their home country (applicants should provide evidence that the required care is not available in the country where the applicant is living – this should be from a central or local health authority, a local authority, or a doctor or other health professional and that the care is not affordable for the applicant)
  • You must provide the evidence of adequate maintenance, accommodation and care in the UK (the applicant must provide a signed undertaking from the sponsor and evidence that the sponsor can provide the maintenance, accommodation and care, e.g. bank statements, pay slips, utility bills, mortgage documents or tenancy agreement, planned care arrangements for the applicant)

Legal Advice from UK Immigration Solicitors on Adult Dependent Relative Visa Application

The evidence required to support an Adult Dependent Relative visa application is bespoke to each case and therefore you may wish to take legal advice before submitting your application. We also handle immigration appeals for those who have had their visa applications refused. We can assist you with the preparation of your visa application and ensure that you meet all the requirements of the relevant rules. We will ensure that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence thereby leading to a successful application and avoiding the unnecessary expense of re-submitting your application to the Home Office.

If you wish to consider your options, please call our Immigration Team so we can assess your matter and if necessary advise you of the next steps you should take in a consultation.

We are based in the legal epicentre of London, just across the road from the Royal Courts of Justice in order to ensure we get the best results for our clients.  We are minutes away from the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal, the Royal Courts of Justice and other central London courts.

If you need professional legal advice about applying for a UK Adult Dependent Relative Visa please contact us for a case assessment on 02030110276. You can also reach us via our contact form

Call Now Button search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close